These cute and delicious vegan treats were a HUGE success with the family! The smooth chocolate, creamy caramel inside and crunchy nuts around the outside, make for the perfectly balanced dessert. These are an incredibly healthier version of a “Chocolate Turtle”, and in my opinion even more delicious!
Not only are they delicious, and a crowd pleaser, but they are VERY SIMPLE and contain only a few ingredients. Give these a try next time you are heading to a summer bbq, picnic or pool side party!
Oil Free ✔
Dairy Free ✔
Butter Free ✔
Gluten Free ✔
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (or regular chipits-if non vegan)
- 1/2 cup pecans
Raw Caramel Sauce:
- 4 pitted medjool dates (soaked in water for one hour and then drained)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a high speed blender, or food processor add all of the raw caramel sauce ingredients. Blend on high until smooth, then place in the refrigerator.
- Melt chocolate chips in a small bowl, then place into a ziploc bag. Cut a small hole in one of the corner of the bag and make small chocolate pancakes on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. To flattened I used a wide knife, but you can use whatever you have available to you, whether it be the back of a spoon or a knife. MAKE SURE to make an even amount of chocolate pancakes, since half will act as the bottom shell, and the other half will act as the top shell of the turtle.
- Place six pecan slices on half of the melted chocolate pancakes (as seen in picture). I used a whole pecan for the head and halved the pecans for the four legs and tail. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet and scoop a small amount of the raw caramel onto the centre of each turtle with pecans on them. Pop back into the freezer.
- Melt some extra chocolate chips to make a design on the top of the turtles shell. Take the baking sheet out of the freezer and place the remaining chocolate pancakes gently onto the ones that have carmel and pecans on them. Make whatever turtle shell design you like on the shell. Your DONE! 🙂