I’m so incredibly happy with this recipe, that so far, I think that it’s one of the BEST desserts I’ve made! It turned out so well that the first cake disappeared within 1 day between my roommates and I, so I made another, and that went within the day as well.
It is so dense and scrumptious but not overly sweet that you are only able to eat a few mouthfuls, just the perfect taste, texture and when paired with ice cream….heavenly!! It only takes around 10 minutes to make the cake and then into the oven for around an hour and taddaaaa!
I used only the food processor for this cake. Don’t have a food processor? NO PROBLEM! You can use a whisk, and wooden stir spoon instead. The food processor was fast and easy, but you can use whatever you have at your disposal.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (or 1/4 cup brown sugar, 6 medjool pitted dates and 1 splash of maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup spelt flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp warm water
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper (the first time I used a small round baking pan and the second time I used a loaf pan).
2. Add the banana to your food processor and blend on high until a smooth consistency is reached. Add in the applesauce, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Blend on high until well combined.
3. You can either combine your dry ingredients (baking powder, flour, and cocoa powder) separately in a bowl and then add them to your wet mixture, or just add them straight into the wet ingredients. Blend on high until well combined.
4. Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and water. Blend on high.
5. Pour the batter into your lined baking pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. After removing the cake from the oven, leave it in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on a wire rack. Top with whatever you desire!
Happy Baking and Indulging,
If you give this cake a try, let me know what you paired it with!
Was it ice cream? Homemade nutella? Chocolate ganache? Fruit?
Or just a huge slice on its own?!